Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Carnaval Angolano: Príncipes


I have to admit, I was feeling a little sorry for myself this weekend. I was missing New Orleans and Mardi Gras so much it hurt! I was really looking forward to this Tuesday, so that Tyree and I could see how they celebrate Carnival in Angola. And, while it just wasn't the same, it was a really fun day. We walked down to the Novo Marginal and watched the parade around 4:00 pm. The costumes were great, and I'll have another post for the vast array of costumes we saw. But these paraders deserve their own post. Their costumes reminded me so much of Mardi Gras Indians (see above picture). Even their dancing style was similar - check out the poses they are striking in a few of the pictures. I apologize that the pictures aren't better. We were standing on the wrong side of the street for photography; the sun was in our faces the entire time. I don't know if these dancers, with their beautiful crowns and colorful costumes have a name. I will try to find out. Enjoy the pictures!

Posts from Mardi Gras in New Orleans















































































1 comment:

christy said...

that's amazing! very similar to the mardi gras indians. you'll have to find out some info on that group. i don't feel sorry for you at all. i think your carnival surpassed new orleans for sure. i definitely did not see any cute little boys dressed as girls or children with candy braided into their hair. so glad that yall had a fabulous time! Happy Mardi Gras!