Tuesday, February 16, 2016

OR Tambo: Hello old friend


Let me dust off this blog. I haven't written on it since 2012! A little someone came along and suddenly blogging wasn't the most interesting part of my day! I have a new job now and I will be traveling to Mozambique several times a year, so I thought it would be fun to return to Maruvu. In case you forgot, Maruvu is the word for palm wine in Angola. 

I'm not sure how many hours it took me to get from Nashville - my new home - to Maputo, but it felt like a solid two days. I left home at 10:20 am on Sunday morning and checked into my hotel at 10:30 pm Monday. Somewhere in there I lost a day of my life. 

Of course, the journey took me through the airport in Johannesburg. Tyree and I used to spend a lot of time here when we lived in Angola, so it brings back nice memories of being a Silver Card Frequent Flyer with South African Airways and being able to hang out in the SAA lounge. About six months after leaving Africa, SAA sent us a letter saying we had been demoted to Blue Card, which is the lowest level. I almost cried. I don't think I will be able to reach Silver again as I now have to be patriotic and fly Delta.

I noticed a few changes. One, there were several efforts to make Chinese passengers feel welcome, such as the news stand above and the Chinese decorations below. There were many Chinese moving to Angola in the years we lived there, and I think this is true in all of Southern Africa. I wrote about that here. Second, pigeons have found there way into the international terminal and fly freely about this enclosed building. It's really funny.








No comments: